Become a Guide
If you really want to delve into the Sainsbury Centre collections, you can train to be a Guide, and share your enthusiasm and knowledge with our other visitors.
What does being a guide mean?
- Welcoming visitors to the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts
- Giving general tours of the building and the Sainsbury Collection to school and adult groups
- Giving informed talks on special exhibitions and themed subjects
What will I get out of being a guide?
- The opportunity to learn about a world-class building and an outstanding collection of world art
- The pleasure of communicating with people of all ages
- The chance to be part of a team of over 60 trained guides to make new friends
- The chance to become involved with a range of stimulating exhibitions and events alongside the Sainsbury Centre’s team of staff
- Free membership to the Sainsbury Centre Friends
What sort of skills do I need?
- An interest in world art
- An interest in, and enthusiasm for, the Sainsbury Centre and its activities
- A clear voice, a friendly, pleasant manner and a liking for communication
What does the training involve?
- All guides must take part in a training course (1 day per week, October to March) which covers all aspects of the building and collections as well as presentation skills, working with children and adults and being mentored by existing guides
- Course participants attend lectures, submit written essays, give talks and presentations
- After qualification, attendance at on-going monthly meetings to keep up-to-date with current developments
How much of my time do I need to give?
- Once trained, you will need to commit at least one day per month to guiding at the Centre
- In addition, there are many opportunities to deepen your interests and become involved in the education programmes at the Centre
If you are interested in finding our more about becoming a Guide at the Sainsbury Centre, please call Lisa Blowers on
T 01603 591033
We do not run a training course every year. The next course is likely to start in October 2014.
Training course 2012
Price: £260, concession £185
Download course details for 2012/2013